Thursday, March 19, 2009

Prague, Czech Republic

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous to go to Prague because of the language barrier, but it turns out more people speak English here than in Paris, and the signs had English on them as well. Phew! Prague was an incredible city. Although Anna, Mary, and I were only there for a few days, we got around to most of the major sites. We took a tour of the Staropramen Brewery, then walked along Vltava River and saw Frank Gehry's "Fred and Ginger", or "Dancing House," and the National Theater. We crossed over the Charles Bridge and visited the John Lennon wall.

Frank Gehry's "Fred and Ginger"

John Lennon Wall
~
The next day we walked around the city, first stopping in the Old Town Square where we saw the Astronomical Clock and Tyn Church. We crossed the Vltava and walked up the Old Castle Stairs and went inside St. Vitus Cathedral and Prague Castle. We meandered down the hill and went inside St. Nick's Church and the Infant of Prague Church and then continued to wander around the city that night. I would definitely go back to Prague. There is still much more to see here than we managed. It really is a beautiful and charming city.

Tyn Church

from Old Town Sqaure

view from Prague Castle